Thursday, April 7, 2011

1991 Nissan Sentra SE-R

Another great sleeper...

The B13 Nissan Sentra was basic transportation. As far as basic transportation went back in the early 1990s, it was pretty good. It was economical and dependable. Depending on which model you bought (E, XE, GXE, SE, and Limited Edition), its comfort ranged from decent to almost luxurious.

The Sentra SE-R was a different beast altogether. It was not meant to be basic transportation. It was meant to be a pocket rocket. It succeeded.

The SE-R has a 2.0 liter DOHC 4. It pumps out 140 horsepower and loves to rev. It almost feels Italian. The SE-R hit 60 MPH in 7.6 seconds, which was very impressive back in 1991. (A 1991 BMW 325i hit 60 in 7.7 seconds.) The suspension was stiffer than a stock Sentra and the tires were bigger, too. A limited-slip differential was standard.

These cars are getting tough to find. Rust took its toll on many, and abuse, neglect and very bad modifications did in many more. The few good ones left today are starting to sell for a premium.

This rust free SE-R is being offered for sale by JaCG reader, Cory. He's done some performance and comfort upgrades, but has mercifully kept the body basically stock. (He lists all the modifications in his ad.) It's the type of SE-R you want to find; one owned by an adult car enthusiast.

80% of the world will see you driving this car and think you're driving an older economy car. The other 20%, those that know what this car is and how it performs, will be very, very impressed.

Located in Norwalk, CT, it's listed on sr20-forum.com. Click here to see the ad.

2 comments:

Max Power said...

I know I am in the extreme minority, but I owned black 91 SE-R just like the car pictured and was less than thrilled with it. To me it seemed that any power was only achieved if I revved the hell out of it. Now I will admit, if I lived in a fairly remote mountainous area, I would have had a lot of fun, but 99 percent of my driving is on congested Long Island where I need some low end oomph.

Strangely enough, the car that I got out of for the SE-R was an 87 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo with less power and gobs of turbo lag (compared to today's turbos) and I do not remember having these issues. Then again, the Mirage had me in love with all of its quirks...definitely a cnadidate for a future JACG post...if you can find one these days

Harv said...

Way cool car that is getting very hard to find in good shape.